31 July 2008

Confluence and Sharepoint

Well the Confluence - Sharepoint Connector went from beta v.0.5 to release 1.0 just like that. Rather a bit different to open source software I've played with (the connector most definitely isn't open source). Apart from having a flaky laptop with from which to run the demo, it went OK. I think I managed not to make a goose of myself in front of my workmates and boss.

The search function works a treat but only works with MOSS. You set it up as a Shared Service and off you go. One gotcha I found was that you need to keep the internal accounts available in Confluence as the search cannot currently work with anything other than Forms Authentication. (The Atlassian folks may have fixed this by now though).

Once you set up the LDAP authentication in Confluence to enable single sign-on, you can then configure Confluence to automatically pass your credentials to Confluence (automatic single sign-on). Doing this means that you lose access to the internally configured accounts. I quickly realised this as I hadn't configured my own account as a Confluence administrator. Oops... Backtrack, fix and re-enable...

For editing pages, the wiki is far easier (and richer) than dealing with Sharepoint and plug-ins allow for HTML content and for Word and Open Office documents to be used as a content editor (though I wonder how good they are). My boss liked the idea that you could roll up content from various Sharepoint lists, more or less creating "dashboard" style pages. I wonder what we'll do with it?

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment