30 April 2009

SOLID principles are about habits

Last February there was a furore in the .NET world that started when Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob) went on Hanselminutes #145 (link). Joel Spolsky later went on the Stack Overflow podcast and was widely quoted as saying that quality doesn’t matter much. And the blogosphere went nuts…

Remembering back to when I learned to program – I learned syntax and so on. While we were instructed to focus on design, we were never really taught how or what constitutes good design (of which the SOLID principles are part of). So I never developed good design habits. Now that I’m trying to learn and apply them, it’s more difficult as I already have some bad ones. It’s like learning to ski as an adult while watching 5 year olds zoom past backwards… it’s so much easier to learn early on.

No comments:

Post a Comment